The National Crime Agency (NCA) has issued a warning regarding two pieces of malware software known as GOZeuS and Cryptolocker. It has been discovered that this malware software is the cause of potentially one of the most dangerous malware attacks in internet history – potentially putting millions of individuals and business in the UK at risk. It is estimated that over 1 million computers worldwide are already infected with GOZeuS and Cryptolocker, of which over 15,500 are UK based, and over £60 million has already been stolen.
This software exploits vulnerabilities on your PC to install software that can capture bank details or re-direct money transfers, steal personal data from your computer and send it to a third party. The NCA has temporarily taken control of the communications used to connect with infected computers, but expects only a very limited window of opportunity to ensure you are protected
In order to minimise your risk you should…
• Ensure your system software is up-to-date
• Make sure your internet security software (including Anti-virus, Anti-malware and firewall software) is up-to-date
• View emails with attachments sent from unknown senders with caution
• Take care to look out for Phishing emails
• Avoid storing passwords on your computer
• Make sure you keep backups of your work in another location in case the worst happens
If you would like help with any of this then please call, our details are found below or on the contact page above.